Posted to alt.home.repair
arkland arkland is offline

Default Proper way to affix 6 pound sledge to hickory handle (metal & woodwedge in slot)?

My 6-pound sledge handle broke trying to split heavy (but still wet) oak
(which is another story altogether).

So I bought, for $19 + tax, a hickory "round" sledge handle which had a
slot at the top, and came with a metal "wedge" plus what looks like a
larger poplar wedge.

My QUESTION:
I understand the 'proper' way would have been to insert the 6-pound
sledge head onto the round handle, then insert the wood parallel inside
the pre-cut slot, and then, insert the metal wedge perpendicular (as was
the original handle).

However ...

When I 'tapped' the heavy sledge head onto the handle, it fit perfectly.
That is, there is no slot anymore! No place to put the wood wedge. Maybe
I could put the metal wedge in crosswise ... but ... I don't have
experience in this.

Since I don't have experience ... May I ask ...

What is the prognosis? Will the sledge head (eventually?) fly off? Must I
insert the wood and metal wedges provided?

Or, is it just fine as long as the sledge head is tight on the hickory
handle?