Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave M[_3_] Dave M[_3_] is offline

Default Kinda OT.. Generators and voltage spikes

Dallas wrote:
(Yeah, I know it's not "repair" but my favorite techie types are
here.)

I'll be floating down a French river on a small barge in several
weeks. They'll provide 220v from a Hawker Siddely Generator.

I'll have a couple of expensive 110v devices that I intend to connect
through a step down transformer (not purchased yet). They implied
that the power might not be all that clean and they won't be
responsible for voltage fluctuations.

Would a surge protector and an appropriate transformer protect things
or should I be looking at a voltage regulator.. or maybe voltage
regulator/transformer combo?

I really don't want the "magic smoke" to escape from my stuff.

My suggestion would be to use a power line conditioner between your
transformer and your expensive devices. Search the auction site for "line
conditioner" in the Business & Industrial category. The line conditioner
provides significant surge and spike protection to your devices. ONEAC is a
good brand; I've used them in my shops over the years without any failures
in either the conditioners or connected equipment (that I could attribute to
line faults).
Just be sure to match line frequency, voltage and current requirements to
your equipment requirements.
--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net