Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting deep dados

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:26:23 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 7/18/2011 5:24 PM, wrote:
Building a workbench. Plans call for a dado (4 of them) to
hold cross braces at the ends. The dado cut is to be
1 1/2 inches deep by 3 inches wide. My 6 inch dado
with the adjustable dial (Freud) can only cut 1 inch deep
or less.

Suggestions?

Thought of the following solutions but hope there might
be others:

1) use regular sawblade and make the cuts (tedious as the
dados have to be 3 inches wide), by going back and
forth over the length of the cut.

2) use a router

3) use the Freud dado and use a router for
the last 1/2 inch.

4) chop them out - saw and chisel - ala mortise/tenon.

5) buy a 8" dado set. Expensive for a good set. I'd like
to see if there is a $50 solution first.

- How about it? Is there a good way of doing this?

Is this going to be a 2x4 work bench?

If he only goes 1" on the dadoes, it's going to have a catastrophic
failure the very first time he builds a battleship on it.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles