Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default concrete forms

"Edee em" wrote:

Bit of a simple question, I hope:

Nothing is ever simple.

I want to form for a 10x8' concrete pad for a shed. The spot I want the
shed in has a bit of a slope. I believe it to be about 4-5" over a 10' run.

That's a good pitch for starters..
The problem thus is how to build the forms to take out the slope in the
grade. I imagine a 2x4 in the back (high end) and a 2x6 in the front (low
end) but what is the best way to get the sides to go from 4" to 6". Of
course I may be way off in my thinking and would appreciate any other
thoughts.

If it was mine-- and I only wanted to do this job once. . . . I'd
scrape all the sod and crap off the site. Then I'd bring in a load
of #2 crushed stone for a base. Spread it on the site a couple
inches at a time. Tamp well. $75 to rent a compacter for a day is a
cheap investment. On the upper side I'd make sure it was at least 4"
thick [8 would be nice but it might involve digging]. Make it
level. use 2x4 to form your pad.

Once a shed is sitting on it [full of crap] is a poor time to try to
straighten up a pad that was poured on a sloppy base.

Jim