Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Just got a bandsaw

On 7/17/11 1:04 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 07:13:00 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
I dont in particular care for Boeshield. I have a 12 year old can with
most of it full. Originally I used it on my TS top but found that it
had to be wiped/cleaned off before use. I found it to be more of a
preservative than "top slicker upper". Topcote seems to be the only
thing that I am aware of that goes on easy and needs no other attention.
I seldom wipe the surface off as instructed on the can.

When I got the saw I was waffling between Topcoat and Boeshield (after reading
this group . I decided to go with Boeshield but I did put it on with the
"heavy treatment" instructions (since have slacked off toward a thinner coat).
It's done its job in keeping the top rust free (though there are some marks on
it) but it's certainly not as "slick" as the bare cast iron.

I retreated my bandsaw table the other day to try to get the results you
guys are talking about and you are both correct. What is on there now is
definitely slightly tacky and is way less slick than the bare cast iron
top.

What I have been using that doesn't need any other effort than spraying
is Superlube Dri-Film. But I suspect this product may have silicone,
which is supposed to be a no-no for wood contact.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--