Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Single axis stepper controller w/single programmable relay output?

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 7/17/2011 4:04 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Are you still running the MaxNC controller?

No, I junked that shortly after getting it, a long, long time ago. I last
had it configured in 2 axis only with quick attach mounts for a Clausing
engine lathe I had, for a simple CNC lathe retrofit.
The step/dir version of the Max software will work with any step/dir
drivers. I ultimately ran the Max via Ahha Pro and Compumotor OEM650
drives with 280oz/in motors. Those same drivers, set for higher current,
have been running my full size knee mill for a decade now, though I did
upgrade the control to Artisan.

Mach 3 is fine and it supports upto 500 lines of code unlicensed. More
than enough I think for your 40 or 50 frames of macro shots.

Hmm, that's a thought. The reason for wanting to use the MaxNC software is
I could easily run it on any laptop that'll run DOS and has a parallel
port. Moving up to Ahha gives me a lot more flexibility, but it won't work
on a laptop due to needing an ISA slot for the motion control card. I'll
have to see if Mach will run on a laptop OK, never looked into that. If
so, might as well go whole hog... G I know it supports some form of
subroutines. Heck, down the road, might even try to write a plug in to
really automate this whole process. Thanks, I'd not thought about going
full modern. But then, my whole line of thinking has gone from home brew
field portable to buying that setup and making something really flexible
for studio use.

I ran the MaxNC software in DOS mode briefly on a laptop to test it when I
sold the controller and motors. I did not care for it, but it did seem to
work. It supported all the basic G codes, although I didn't test it
extensively. That being said, Mach 3 likes to run under Windows XP Pro, can
be jiggered to run under Vista, and I have not heard many complaints about
running it on 7. I have a machine running my MaxNC/G540 under 7 in rollback
mode (to XP Pro) reliably.

All that being said, It might be hard to find a laptop that runs Windows
quickly and reliably, has appropriate ports for your hardware (Usually an
LPT port), has full voltage on the pins, and doesn't have power management
that could mess with your plans. Otherwise... yes I suppose you can run it
on a laptop, but why? Small powerful desktops can be had pretty
inexpensively from guys like Tiger Direct. I bought three of them last time
I bought computers. I can see the desire for a laptop with the desire for a
portable machine though. The other alternative if you can't find the ideal
laptop is to use a Smoothstepper via USB to provide the LPT port. It adds
about $165 to the cost, but I haven't really seen you mention budget much in
this thread. Lots of guys use the Smoothstepper even on machines that
support or could support a full LPT port because it takes a lot of the work
load off the processer and is reported to provide better control (but no
ability to manage backlash compensation).

Not sure which MaxNC you have, but the MaxNC 5 is small enough you could
carry it with one hand if you put a handle on it. I think I would design a
multi point rigid mount handle if I did that. One that went from the base
to the column and helped hold it square. Since you aren't dealing with
cutting forces, and are just moving the weight of a camera you could easily
run your controller and stepper motors off a couple gel cell batteries like
you might find in an alarm panel, UPS, or game caller. Most controllers and
steppers run fine off an unregulated DC power supply. Batteries are the
same thing, just cleaner. You could probably even run it for a limited time
off a pack of throw away dry cells. I think your goal of a portable macro
machine is very doable.