Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Can I paint stainless steel?

On Jul 18, 8:03*am, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
Dwight wrote:

I have a triple wall chimney of stainless steel that I would like to
color black.

Can I paint stainless steel with high temp Rustoleum, or should I wrap
it with galvanized or aluinium and paint that?

Here's a link to a website that specializes in finishes, and the
experts there says stainless just has to be cleaned. *Neither this nor
other sites I checked mentioned anything about using phosphoric acid
or oxalic acid, as is done for aluminum or regular steel:

* *http://www.finishing.com/60/84.shtml

Here's another forum where the more experienced contributors tell of
the problems painting stainless and having it stick.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nless-211.html

Anything can be painted, it's just a question of how long it will
last, and a paint finish on stainless probably won't last long. The
OP didn't say where this chimney is located, whether he wants to paint
an interior or exterior section, and what the access is like. All
contributing factors to the approach.

Like one poster in that forum link said, painting stainless is an
uphill battle.