Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Can I paint stainless steel?

JKevorkian wrote in
:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:36:09 -0700, Dwight
wrote:

I have a tripple wall chimney of stainless steel that I would like to
color black.

Can I paint stainless steel with high temp Rustoleum, or should I wrap
it with galvanized or aluinium and paint that?

Thanks in advance.

Dwight

I don't think so, Dwight, at least with materials that are available
to the average Joe Consumer. Did you ever wonder why the DeLorean
cars were sold unpainted? Stainless steels in the 300 series have the
ability to form an oxide on the surface of the metal that prevents, or
at least retards, corrosion. This oxide forms almost immediately
whenever the steel is sanded, scratched, rubbed, etc. making it very
difficult to apply anyhting else to the surface and have it "stick".
Soldering is possible, although a real bitch, and I'd forego painting
because I'm sure it would only last until the next rain.
Enjoy your shiny chimney.

many DeLorean owners had their cars PAINTED because maintaining the SS
surface was a PITA.

IMO,the OP can go ahead and paint the SS.
a good hi-temp primer would probably be desirable for the first coat.

Paint will bond to SS just as well as any other steel.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik