Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default No comments from the GUN_Lovers

DGDevin wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

I repeat, since when are illegal aliens not committing a crime?

When they are handled by the civil courts or administrative
magistrates. Ninety-nine percent of illegal immigrants are handled
civilly. They are NOT criminals, they are NOT charged with a crime.

I didn't ask how the state chooses to handle their cases, I asked
since when it is not a crime to be in the county illegally. If your
landscaper cuts your head off with a Weed Whacker they might decide
not to prosecute him because he's mentally incompetent to stand
trial, but that doesn't mean killing you wasn't a crime.

It is NOT a crime to be in the U.S. without the country's permission, i.e.,
a proper visa. The only "penalty" for such a situation is expulsion, which
is handled civilly. CRIMINAL charges against "illegal" aliens are brought
when some other aggravating circumstance exists, such as transporting
narcotics.

Yes. I was responding your your assertion that juveniles are not
locked up, but are counseled and returned to the loving arms of
their parents. I spent five years as a deputy sheriff in the
Juvenile Division and can tell you that, for sure, some juveniles
are locked up and the key thrown away.

For violating curfew? The only obvious example of teens being
"rounded up" I could think of was curfew violations for which the
cops will sometimes do sweeps in particular areas, that's why I
singled it out.

Who said anything about "rounded up?" I've busted teen-agers for murder,
armed robbery, burglary, car theft, and the entire gamut of crimes visited
upon adults. These little snowflakes are put away.

I'm not missing the point. I concur those locked up did something
wrong. I was responding to " In the end either everyone has the same
rights or nobody's rights are safe."

Actually you are still missing the point, as the law requires that
everyone in the same situation has the same rights, not that people
in wildly different situations have the same rights. That's why a
student wearing an offensive t-shirt to school can be sent home
without first getting legal counsel etc., it isn't a criminal matter
so the students doesn't have the same rights as someone charged with
a crime. However there would be a valid legal challenge if it could
be shown that not all students were treated the same in the same
situation. See the difference? Your argument that a crazy person
picked up by the cops doesn't have the right to remain silent (and
thus that equality before the law is meaningless) is irrelevant since
he isn't being prosecuted for a crime, the point is that everyone
charged with a crime has the same right to remain silent. You are
comparing apples to oranges.

Oh, fudge! Change the goalposts, why don't you? You were the one who said
"In the end either everyone has the same rights or nobody's rights are
safe."

All I'm pointing out is that not everyone has the same rights, even though
the consequences might be the same (locked away for the duration plus six
months or something similar).