Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Can I paint stainless steel?

On Jul 17, 10:36*pm, Dwight wrote:

I have a tripple wall chimney of stainless steel that I would like to
color black.

Can I paint stainless steel with high temp Rustoleum, or should I wrap
it with galvanized or aluinium and paint that?

Painting stainless steel is a bitch. Not sure why. The general
consensus is to etch the stainless with either chemicals (acid) or
sanding to give the surface some tooth so the paint will have a
fighting chance.

I don't know how hot the outside wall of a triple wall chimney gets,
but you may be able to get by with another paint, but Bob was right
that you'll have to do a test.

I wouldn't wrap the stainless with a different metal as you might
create a problem with galvanic action eating the wrapping metal.