Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Single axis stepper controller w/single programmable relay output?

On 7/17/2011 4:04 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Are you still running the MaxNC controller?

No, I junked that shortly after getting it, a long, long time ago. I
last had it configured in 2 axis only with quick attach mounts for a
Clausing engine lathe I had, for a simple CNC lathe retrofit.
The step/dir version of the Max software will work with any step/dir
drivers. I ultimately ran the Max via Ahha Pro and Compumotor OEM650
drives with 280oz/in motors. Those same drivers, set for higher current,
have been running my full size knee mill for a decade now, though I did
upgrade the control to Artisan.

Mach 3 is fine and it supports upto 500 lines of code unlicensed. More
than enough I think for your 40 or 50 frames of macro shots.

Hmm, that's a thought. The reason for wanting to use the MaxNC software
is I could easily run it on any laptop that'll run DOS and has a
parallel port. Moving up to Ahha gives me a lot more flexibility, but it
won't work on a laptop due to needing an ISA slot for the motion control
card. I'll have to see if Mach will run on a laptop OK, never looked
into that. If so, might as well go whole hog... G I know it supports
some form of subroutines. Heck, down the road, might even try to write a
plug in to really automate this whole process. Thanks, I'd not thought
about going full modern. But then, my whole line of thinking has gone
from home brew field portable to buying that setup and making something
really flexible for studio use.

Jon