Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Single axis stepper controller w/single programmable relay output?

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 7/17/2011 10:02 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

How about using a simple CNC mill with trigger outputs on the
controller, and writing a bit of code. Move the head .001, fire the
trigger, move the head .001, fire the trigger. Could use a spindle relay
output etc. I could mod one for the application I bet in half a day.

I've moved in that direction. Really wanted something portable I could
take afield, but think the StackShot is really the ticket there and I'll
just have to save up for one.
But for 'studio' work, I have most of a MaxNC sitting in the corner
gathering dust, and discovered I still have the step/direction version of
the MaxNC software. That would allow several degrees freedom if I used all
3 axis. There's some trick software that allows cabling the camera to a
laptop and viewing in real time on the screen in Lightroom, what is in the
camera's field of view. If I stacked the Z axis onto the table, I could
use X-Z to frame the shot and Y for the stacked shots.
Down the road, will probably go to my older copy of Ahha Pro for this,
have a few more outputs, and programming with subroutines and parameters
would make for a couple generic programs that could be quickly modified
for most any task.

Hoping the Max software supports a rotary axis, I just don't remember if
it does or not.

Are you still running the MaxNC controller? If so you need to look and see
if it has an A motor output or not. I didn't care for the MaxNC controller
or motors so I swapped them out on mine for a Gecko G540 and heavier motors.
The G540 definitely supports four motors and has a breakout built in for
trigger outputs. I use one (with a 48V relay) on my Taig to turn the
spindle and cutting oil pump on and off automatically. Same on the MaxNC
except I still haven't gotten around to putting it in an enclosure yet.

Mach 3 is fine and it supports upto 500 lines of code unlicensed. More than
enough I think for your 40 or 50 frames of macro shots.