Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Pictures, base for my new truck crane

On Jul 16, 10:31*pm, Ignoramus29044 ignoramus29...@NOSPAM.
29044.invalid wrote:
I wanted it to be out of the way, not taking the whole bed.

I replace the pivot pins on hydraulic jack cranes with grade 5 bolts
that have had the thread end shortened and pointed. The point makes
the crane easier to assemble. Once disassembled they don't take up
much space, or at least they pack in around the load.

I cross-drill the end for a hitch pin clip so the castle nut won't
vibrate off.

The least awkward procedure to break down this type
http://www.hoosiertrailer.com/f4000.jpg
is to first remove the boom pivot bolt and stand the outer end of the
boom on the ground, then disconnect the upper end of the jack and lean
it against the mast. Assembly is the reverse. This way I don't have to
both lift and align heavy parts with one hand, the jack supports much
of the boom's weight while I wiggle in the pivot pin.

jsw