Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default How to pool chlorinators work?

On 7/17/2011 7:20 AM, wrote:

Why would a pool have high phosphate (or nitrate) levels? That comes
from lawn fertilizer in suburban environments.

No, it comes from decomposing plants, bugs, frogs, etc.. The biggest
struggle against algae in my area is phosphates. In California it is
rare to have screened in pools, unlike in Florida, since we don't have
much of a mosquito issue, so we get a lot of leaves and bugs in the
pool. People spend much more on phosphate removers than on chlorine or
tablets. Draining and refilling helps a little but the tap water also
has relatively high phosphates. I empty the skimmer basket at least
twice a week, and it's got a lot of stuff in it.