Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Single axis stepper controller w/single programmable relay output?

On 7/17/2011 10:02 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

How about using a simple CNC mill with trigger outputs on the
controller, and writing a bit of code. Move the head .001, fire the
trigger, move the head .001, fire the trigger. Could use a spindle relay
output etc. I could mod one for the application I bet in half a day.

I've moved in that direction. Really wanted something portable I could
take afield, but think the StackShot is really the ticket there and I'll
just have to save up for one.
But for 'studio' work, I have most of a MaxNC sitting in the corner
gathering dust, and discovered I still have the step/direction version
of the MaxNC software. That would allow several degrees freedom if I
used all 3 axis. There's some trick software that allows cabling the
camera to a laptop and viewing in real time on the screen in Lightroom,
what is in the camera's field of view. If I stacked the Z axis onto the
table, I could use X-Z to frame the shot and Y for the stacked shots.
Down the road, will probably go to my older copy of Ahha Pro for this,
have a few more outputs, and programming with subroutines and parameters
would make for a couple generic programs that could be quickly modified
for most any task.

Hoping the Max software supports a rotary axis, I just don't remember if
it does or not. I was looking at taking this approach even further this
once I've moved down under, for astrophotography. At the very bottom of
that learning curve, but there's a fellow down under taking impressive
shots of the night sky. Dave (brother) says he uses some combo of linear
and rotary axis tracking, though I haven't found that info on his blog
yet. So a telescope and photography like this is slated for future
exploration.

Jon