Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Bill is offline

Default Crimp, solder, both?

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:46:53 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

As it isn't as snug as I was expecting I am now wondering if I should run
some solder in as well.

With the right tool and matching crimp and cable a crimp connection
will almost always be more secure and reliable than a solder
connection. This is especially so if the joint is exposed to
vibration. Adding solder to a good crimp joint reduces its
reliability.

Why should that be?. Not that you'd what to do both normally;!...

Hi Tony,

If you tin the wire first and then crimp, the solder has a habit of
creeping over time and loosening the joint.

If you solder to the crimp tag then you have a solid firm joint that
with vibration/movement may fracture.

With just a crimp there is a bit more flexibility at the junction of the
cable and crimp.

I'm sure someone will be along in a while to give a better explanation,
I have seen it discussed here before.

--
Bill