Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim[_31_] Tim[_31_] is offline

Default 72 Triumph Tiger with sidehack

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:55:08 -0700, stans4 wrote:

On Jul 16, 4:03Â*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Trumpet#

Any comments on the this would be appreciated.

The painted parts all look good. Â*That's the hardest part usually to
replace or fabricate. Â*Original paint really adds value if it can be
polished up to look good all over. Â*Before the economic crash you could
have sunk several hundred to a couple grand into it depending on if you
did all the work yourself or not, and then turned around and resold it
as a cherry restoration for a very tidy profit. Â*Now, it would make an
awesome personal project, but it might be hard to find the right buyer.
Â*Somebody like Jay Leno might give you top dollar if he wanted it, but
there aren't as many middle class buyers with the cash laying around
for toys these days.

Back in the day when I was really into motorcycles I'ld have bought it
as is for the right price any day of the week.

Just as a general knowledge question, are there folks that repair/
replace those motorcycle vinyl and foam seats out there? Or is that a
get out the sewing machine and use the remnants for a pattern project?
I know VWs have had replacement seat covers and foam parts, but there
were a whole lot more of them made.

Getting a nice looking seat is a routine job for an upholstery shop. If
you want things like vinyl that perfectly matches, or embossed designs,
etc., then it gets a lot more expensive (or near-impossible).

We had our '69 Chevy truck seat redone about 10 years ago, in pleated
broadcloth with vinyl center, in a "coulda been OEM" look. Cost $400,
and they're standing up very well. That was at the local upholstery shop.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com