Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default How much force in a vise?

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 14:22:33 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I'm kinda' late to this discussion, but I just had an idea for a device
that would excel in evenly-applied-force. That would be an air bag,
fitted in a box. A reverse of the vacuum air bag, which is limited to
15 psi. I don't know how much more that 21 psi you'd want, but a
bag-in-a-box could do much more than that.

For a bag, how about the bladder that's used in the storage tank for
well water, or in the expansion tank of hot water heating system. The
bladder itself is available as a replacement part.

Nice idea. I like vacuum techniques. I use small vacuum bags to glue
these same finished workpieces to steel substrate rings. I found that
it worked better than clamps to get accurate positioning.

However, in this application it would have to be a bag that withstands
200C temperature.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC