Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeremy Double Jeremy Double is offline

Default Welding cast iron

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 16/07/2011 10:24, Guy Gorton wrote:
That seems very low. My facts may be wrong but I think 30ft of water
creates 1 atmosphere of pressure, which is about 14 lbs/sq.in.

If I remember my schoolboy physics, it's 32ft of water and 15lbs/sq.in.

32.2 & 14.4 rings a bell..

Standard atmospheric pressure (but not for thermodynamic measurements)
is 1.01325 bar, 760 mmHg or about 14.7 psi.

This will raise water about 10.2 m or 33ft 9in, assuming the figure I
looked up for the density of mercury is correct.

Of course, actual atmospheric pressure varies from day to day.
--
Jeremy Double {real address, include nospam}
Rail and transport photos at