Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 72 Triumph Tiger with sidehack

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 17:15:31 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:03:07 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Trumpet#

Any comments on the this would be appreciated.

The painted parts all look good. That's the hardest part usually to replace
or fabricate. Original paint really adds value if it can be polished up to
look good all over. Before the economic crash you could have sunk several
hundred to a couple grand into it depending on if you did all the work
yourself or not, and then turned around and resold it as a cherry
restoration for a very tidy profit. Now, it would make an awesome personal
project, but it might be hard to find the right buyer. Somebody like Jay
Leno might give you top dollar if he wanted it, but there aren't as many
middle class buyers with the cash laying around for toys these days.

True enough. Then Id have to ride it around and enjoy it until the
economy returned to normal wont I? VBG

Back in the day when I was really into motorcycles I'ld have bought it as is
for the right price any day of the week.

Now if I can get this up and running as a fun bike, and finish up the
BMW for a serious travel bike...then hopefully Ill have the proper tools
to do the Royal Enfield.

Frankly..I paid almost nothing for the lathe the guy wants in trade. I
used it for a few years, and have replaced it with the HLV-H. So its
truely surplus Ive got my money out of it. Less than $100 actually G

Ive offered it around for a very fair price to a number of people, but
its not a threading lathe..so its utility to most people is almost nill.

So while its cosmetically challenged, and it cuts VERY accurately..Im
not going to be able to sell it at even fair market value anywhere
around my area. So converting it to something I can use, and will be
able to sell at a later date for more money than Ill have in it, makes a
great deal of sense to me.

Even if I have to put a few hundred in seals, valves, etc etc in
it..its still ..in the grand scheme of things...very very very cheap
when one remembers I have very little cash in it.

So it appears to be a win/win.

Gunner

Exactly what is your question, Gunner???
You want the thing?
Take the deal. You can't loose, since you already got your hundred
bucks use out of the lathe and you are no longer using it.

Even if the bike and hack sit in your yard and rust away, like the
lathe will if you don't reade it, all you are out is the difference in
scrap value when all is said and done.