Posted to rec.woodworking
routerman routerman is offline

Default I've Rediscovered WD-40

Great for cleaning Nikon lenses too.
**********************

On Jul 14, 6:21*pm, "Phil Anderson"
wrote:
Haven't posted for awhile, but I still read
the group at least once a week.

Ya know how when you were but a babe, maybe
20, maybe a teenager, and you discovered the
wonders of WD-40? *When you sprayed it here
and there, it made everything work easier,
quieter? *I was like that. *Then I discovered
Usenet and this group in particular. *I read
how the magical fluid in the blue can was not
a lubricant. *That anything it did would not
last. *That it could cause more problems then
it solved. *So, I believed it all and began
using other recommended sprays and
lubricants. *And that is the way it has been
for me for years. *Oh, I still used WD-40 for
certain things, mostly when one of my cast
iron tools would get some surface rust on it.
I would spray it on, let it set a bit and
then scrub with a Scotch pad. *That always
worked and worked well. *Other than that,
haven't really used it for years.

A while back, I had a sticking file cabinet
lock at work. *It just kept getting harder
and harder to turn the key each day, but I
put up with it. *One day I thought I was
going to break the key off. *All we had in
the office was a can of WD-40. *From what I
had learned, that was exactly the wrong thing
to use. *I needed some graphite! *But, we
didn't have any. *I was frustrated and really
didn't care. *I took the blue can, aimed the
tube into the lock and sprayed, just a
little. *I know how this stuff runs. *I
slipped in my key and voila! *It turned like
buttah. *That was about 2 years ago. *The
lock still works great.

The other day, one of our screen door locks
just wouldn't turn. *It's a deadbolt on a
little used door. *It has a knob on the
inside to turn it but it just wouldn't budge.
I thought, "this isn't good, what if there's
a fire?" *There was a slight gap when I
pushed on the door, just enough to get that
little spray tube into, but it wasn't going
to reach any part of the workings of the
lock. *I tried to take the lock apart,
removing the screws and as much of the
cylinder as I could, but that door wasn't
going to open. *I reassembled everything in
frustration. *Then I sprayed just a little
WD-40 on the only part I could reach, the
bolt itself through the crack in the door. *I
turned the knob again, and again, voila! *It
turned like buttah. *I immediately went
around to the other two screen doors and did
the same and while I was there, I sprayed
what I could reach and the key hole on all
the locks. *Everything has quieted down and
turns easily. *That was a couple weeks ago
and I'm still amazed at how easily and
quietly everything is working.

Now, back at work. *We have a 60 cup coffee
pot that plugs into a timer. *I'm the coffee
guy, mostly for self-preservation. *At the
end of the day, I unplug the cord from the
timer so I can get enough room to wash up the
pot for the next day. *It has become
increasingly difficult to remove the plug
from the timer. *I had to pull realllly hard
to get it out. *This has been going on for
about three years. *Today, I took a paper
towel and sprayed a little WD-40 on it and
wiped the blades of the plug. *Slipped it in
the outlet of the timer and, well, you get
the idea. *Like buttah.......

Recently purchased a couple Honda scooters,
used. *The lock to lift up the seat for the
helmet holder was hard to turn on both of
them. *Pssst, psst, they work like new. *The
cargo door locks on my motorhome were
difficult to turn. *A little in the key hole
and a little on the inside latch, good to go!

So, don't believe everything you hear or
read. *Yes, there are places where some other
lubricant is more appropriate, but WD-40 has
earned a spot right up front on my lubricant
shelf, once again. *Try it, you might like
it, just like you used to.

--

Best Regards,

Phil Anderson
Living In The Woods Of Beautiful Bonney Lake,
Washington
Visit My Web Site: *www.philsfun.com