Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default O/T: Need To Build A Puter

"J. Clarke" writes:
In article , says...

wrote:

Having all carefully selected parts in front of me (last two computers
I labored over parts for a month), I can indeed get one together in an
eight hour period.

Gosh, I hope so. Like you said when you were being a jerk, that's not
the time-consuming part.

Christ, my students used to be able to tear one down and reassemble it
in 4 hours.

My lab guy routinely does it in 30 minutes. 15 minutes to swap out a
power supply, mobo or processor. 5 minutes to swap out dimms (most of that
removing/attaching cables so the system will slide out of the rack). There
are currently about 300 1U and 2U boxes in the lab (all servers); including one
that has 192 cores, 1 TB DRAM and 100TB disk.

But he's been building mainframes, large MPP machines, small unix boxes,
servers and PC's for 30 years.

scott