Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Crimp, solder, both?

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:46:53 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Just assembling my 12V battery cables for the camper.

External diameter of copper cable inner is around 5mm.
Internal diameter of connector (ring terminal) is nearly 8mm.
So not a tight fit.

I was intending to crimp - not sure now if I should cut a slot in the tube
to allow the connector to crimp down further or just flatten it out to get a
grip.
Looks as though it has been folded then welded/brazed shut so I would be
undoing this last bit.
As it isn't as snug as I was expecting I am now wondering if I should run
some solder in as well.
Just solder doesn't look as though it would give a secure enough joint - and
I've never soldered multi-strand wire this thick before.

Items are http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.u...55/category/32 item
070907
and
http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.u...2/category/124 item 010601

You could sleeve the wire with a very short bit of 8mm "microbore"
copper pipe. The whole lot should crimp up better.

--
Frank Erskine