Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Nagelson John Nagelson is offline

Default removing and replacing asbestos cement garage roof

I've got an asbestos cement roof on my small 1930s garage. Knowing
that asbestos cement is not seen as being as dangerous as asbestos
without cement, I've until now taken the attitude that I won't cause
any damage to it and it won't cause any trouble to me. But now it's
leaking. I really don't want to mess about with it. Sure I could spray
something on it, but I feel this might be the start of the slippery
slope - leaks, drying up after the leaks, crumbling at the edge of
cracks, fibres breaking away.

So maybe the time has come to have it removed and replaced. I've never
done anything with asbestos before, so I know this is a DIY group but
it's probably something I'd want to call someone in for, just to make
sure that no-one inhales any fibres or leaves any lying around. A
friend's husband died of asbestosis.

I imagine there are all sorts of sharp-intake-of-breath conmen around
in this field, so how do I ensure a) I get a proper job done, in
accordance with all laws and regulations covering asbestos cement
disposal, and b) I pay a reasonable amount only?

Cheers!

John