Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Need To Build A Puter

On Jul 15, 11:57 am, Bill wrote:

An "entire day" huh? I trust the people making comments like this are
the same ones that walk into a woodworking store and buy a TS on the
first visit. I almost hate to say it, and it may be difficult to
believe, but I think a computer is at least as complicated as a TS and
you can easily, even accidentally, devote as much time to choosing the
components for one. For instance, try to answer the question, "Which
SSD drive" should I choose? A year ago, there was a clear answer, but
"marketing" will (try to) obscure your ability to find it.

Hmmm.... reading your posts, it does seem that you might have a bit of
a comprehension problem. I never said I picked out all components for
construction in a day. I never said that I checked parts for maximum
compatibility in a day. I never said I bought a case, fan, power
supply, video card, memory, in a day, nor any other part.

Having all carefully selected parts in front of me (last two computers
I labored over parts for a month), I can indeed get one together in an
eight hour period.

Might I

I trust the people making comments like this are
the same ones

that don't read and understand the written language? Ones that might
jump to conclusions based on their own arrogance?

With little doubt, I would say that anyone that did not select their
parts beforehand is an idiot. Was that your assumption, even though
it was never expressed, written, or alluded to in any way by me?

With all selected parts in hand, my computer guy can put a machine
together in a couple of hours, install the OS, and run all his
diagnostic software in a couple of more. He can have a new machine
out the door in 4 - 5 hours, but her prefers overnight self
diagnostics. He has done it for me and my business associates many,
many times as he does it all day long. The diagnostics run far longer
than the assembly time from him.

As I said, for me, it would take a full day (if all assembly went
right and there were no DOA parts.)

It appears, your mileage may vary.

Robert