Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default History Lesson on Your Social Security Card

On Jul 15, 10:47*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Yeah, well, no disagreement there, except that the risk in government bonds
really is very low compared to private equities.

The risk is lower for default. The risk of interest rates going up is
exactly the same.

What you're calling "risk" is the risk that you can't live on it. That's
true enough, but you know roughly how much it will be. That's the security
part, and anyone who had his 401k creamed a few years ago (raising hand
here) has a personal sense of the difference.

There is no risk that you can't live on it. That is certain. It does
not help to know how much it is unless it is worth something. I
rolled my 401k over to an IRA as it provided better options. And my
IRA did go down, but always remained much more valuable than my Social
Security. So my personal sense is that even with a significant
recession, the 401k is much better than Social Security.

Have you funded your 401k with the same amount of money that is taken
for Social Security?

Ed Huntress

I am going to stop here. I think further discussion is useless. I
can see that I am not going to learn anything about investing from
you, and I do not see you learning anything from me.

Dan