Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting nickel steel

In article ocal,
says...

First, this post is going to be somewhat vague as I'm under an NDA and
can't give much detail.

That said, I have a need to cut 1/16" to 1/4" thick slices off of
irregularly shaped objects composed of 5-10 percent nickel, 1-2 percent
carbon, a few trace elements, and the rest iron. Annealing is not an
option--they have to be cut as is. The objects may be somehwere in the
range of 1 to 5 inches in diameter. The kerf has to be as narrow as
possible.

So far I've been using a diamond lapidary blade and oil coolant but it's
really slow going and judging from the noises it makes the saw is not
happy. It'll cut through a lump of slag in a minute or so, but one of
these puppies takes a half an hour with the same setup.

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on a better way to go.

Just a little more information--the saw wasn't happy because the blade
was decentered. Crappy blade--lasted two cuts. The replacment was a
different brand and it's cutting much much better. Not great but
better.