Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Painting vinyl? ? ?

In article .com,
"EXT" wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message
The base of the downspouts on our building are some kind of vinyl or hard
plastic -- I think it has a name of initials, like PCP or some such.

They are white, and I'd like to paint them brown to match the aluminum
downspouts.

Does this material paint all right? Would I need to use a primer, and if
so, what kind?

And what kind of paint?

The plastic pipe will be either PVC (vinyl) or ABS (styrene), white tells me
it is probably PVC. Both can be painted but the paint doesn't bond very
well. However, if you don't drag hoses around it or contact it much, the
paint can last for years as it has on mine. Just keep the paint can around
for occasional touchup as needed.

Krylon makes a spray paint formulated for plastic.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/