Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The city responds

On Jul 15, 7:27*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Anyway, heads up. This silliness will spread, you mark my words, to
your town, too. Start thinking about camouflage paint for your
garage and outbuildings' roofs.

Yeah, and I bet Texas is gonna get zoning laws and require building
permits, too. Damn commies.

Fudge! We've already GOT requirements for building permits. Houston does
not, however, have any zoning laws.

Every few years a delegation from HUD visits our city to investigate
land-use patterns. What they find is that land use does not vary
significantly from cities with Draconian zoning: Heavy industry is clustered
in one area, light manufacturing in another, multi-family residences are on
heavily-traveled streets (as are shopping centers), single family residences
are off the main drags. Gas stations tend to be on corners of well-traveled
intersections.

Most of the time, these visitors put on their beanies (the kind with the
propeller on top) and return to Washington, no wiser than before. They write
a report that no one reads and collect their consulting fee.

When it's pointed out to them that we don't have the corruption, bribery,
and special-dealing often associated with zoning and zoning variances, they
say: "Well, that's just not right!"

So you live in Houston?