Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Setting up a Generator

On Jul 15, 11:01*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jul 15, 10:25*am, "D.A. Tsenuf" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

om...

D.A. Tsenuf wrote:

Why?

Because I would like to make the system as efficient as possible and
reduce the running time and increase life-span of the generator, also
reduce fuel consumption.
It's also an interesting automation problem which I believe can be
solved in a cost effective manner.
I am not up to speed on recent technology, since I haven't been
involved in any electrical engineering problem for the last 30+ years
(one of 2 minors on my degree)
I figured there might be someone out there to point me in the right
direction

Ah, well, in that case look up "Shabbos goy."

Funny how so many responders can't address the question and instead respond
in other ways...
Just goes to show the rule that 90% of the universe is "chaff" and it most
of life is about separating the wheat from the chaff...- Hide quoted text -

In this case it's more of a question of making sure you understand
what you are getting into. *It wasn't clear that you did. *It's still
not completely clear. *You do wish to build this?

If so narrow it down a bit. *There are a lot of answers to your
general question of doing this. *How do you wish to proceed? * What
mix of digital verses electromechanical infrastructure do you want to
build for this? *Do you wish to completely roll your own or is money
no object and assembling this from commercially available stuff an
option. *The $10k another poster joked about is not totally outlandish
if you wish to buy a complete or near complete solution.

It's not a task that is beyond some of the members of this group but
even laying out a solution would probably require more time than
anyone is going to provide for free. *Best you should expect from here
is some general suggestions on where to start looking. *But there are
a number of direction you could head and we'd need to get an idea of
which way you want to go first.- Hide quoted text -

Along those lines another aspect I'd give careful consideration to
is pulling permits and having any inspection done, if they are
required, as they are in most cases. I wouldn't want the house
to burn down for whatever reason and then have the insurance
company looking at a melted pile of relays and a homebrew controler,
denying the claim because they claim it caused the fire and did
not meet code.