Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default O/T: Need To Build A Puter

wrote:
On Jul 14, 11:09 pm, "Lew wrote:

NewEgg would be a winner, they are litterly out my back door.

Now if I can just figure out how to configure a system for them to
quote.

Lew - go to their website, and they literally have bundled kits ready
to go that provide just about anything and everything. With their
already aggressive pricing, this just makes it a bit sweeter if you
don't mind spending the time to put it together. Look at the bottom
right of this page:

http://www.newegg.com

I have bought the components for my last two computers there, and it
*seems* that they have better than the normal stuff at the discount
computer places around here. Plus, my experience is that they really
stand behind their products.

They have good prices on their finished boxes, too.

As for me, I split the difference. Although I don't mind working on
one, I didn't want to build it myself either as I would be spending an
entire day doing it.

An "entire day" huh? I trust the people making comments like this are
the same ones that walk into a woodworking store and buy a TS on the
first visit. I almost hate to say it, and it may be difficult to
believe, but I think a computer is at least as complicated as a TS and
you can easily, even accidentally, devote as much time to choosing the
components for one. For instance, try to answer the question, "Which
SSD drive" should I choose? A year ago, there was a clear answer, but
"marketing" will (try to) obscure your ability to find it.

After choosing an SSD (or HDD) you can play the same game with "Which
graphics card?". You should probably choose your platform and MB before
you choose your SSD or HDD. It's sort of a circular process, with your
applications leading the way, and some choices dependent on others
(consider various HDD interfaces available).

Not all graphics cards fit in all cases, but I also expect that no one
here is afraid to cut sheet metal. Anyone can build a computer and it's
getting easier every year, it seems. I'm just sayin'.

I blew the $10 on an anti-static mat, and in the wintertime I left a pot
of water on the stove to create humidity while I installed the
components, but that's just me. In California the steam is probably
unnecessary.

Bill

So I paid a friend of mine to build it for me at
the going rate of $100, including having him do all diagnostics on the
machine and print out reports. I got it from him, took it home,
hooked up the monitor, modem, mouse and speakers and off I went.

Remember, due to licensing agreements, these things aren't always what
they seem. If you buy a prebuilt machine, you will get some form of
Windows if it is a working box, even with no keyboard, monitor or
mouse.

But if you buy a kit or box of parts, you need to remember that you
will be buying your operating platform, so don't forget to figure that
into the price. For an apples to apples comparison.

DAMHIKT. Lessons learned.

Robert