Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default What 36" Ridgid pipe wrench to keep, AL vs. Iron

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 08:59:37 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Ignoramus23641" wrote in message
m...
I have two of these 36" Ridgid pipe wrenches:

http://goo.gl/ZOm4N

One is steel and another is aluminum.

I want to keep one and sell another. My question is which one is
better. Aluminum one is a lot lighter, but is it as strong? Or does it
matter?

I am not a plumber, but once in a while I need to turn something that
does not want to turn, like a stuck engine etc. This is my use.

I have both aluminum and steel wrenches. For direct hand power only I
prefer the aluminum. If I need to add a 6-8 foot cheater bar like to turn
an axle on a stuck moss in a cotton gin I would go with the steel hands
down. For plumbing around the house I always reach for the aluminum ones.

I agree. And I live and have worked in the oil fields

P.S. Anybody besides me ever try to unstick a stuck moss during a cotton
fire to get the burning material out and save the screens?

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.