Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default What 36" Ridgid pipe wrench to keep, AL vs. Iron

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 08:59:37 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Ignoramus23641" wrote in message
m...
I have two of these 36" Ridgid pipe wrenches:

http://goo.gl/ZOm4N

One is steel and another is aluminum.

I want to keep one and sell another. My question is which one is
better. Aluminum one is a lot lighter, but is it as strong? Or does it
matter?

I am not a plumber, but once in a while I need to turn something that
does not want to turn, like a stuck engine etc. This is my use.

I have both aluminum and steel wrenches. For direct hand power only I
prefer the aluminum. If I need to add a 6-8 foot cheater bar like to turn
an axle on a stuck moss in a cotton gin I would go with the steel hands
down. For plumbing around the house I always reach for the aluminum ones.

P.S. Anybody besides me ever try to unstick a stuck moss during a cotton
fire to get the burning material out and save the screens?

Closest i came is a fire in a large round hay baler. Tried to save the
baler and lost it. Did manage to disconnect and save the tractor. Went
on to lose 35 acres of wind rowed and large hay bales.

That was 40 years ago. I still carry a 100# inverted LP tank filled
with water and compressed air with a water hose and nozzle when ever
using any machine processing dry hay/straw.

Karl