Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default O/T: Need To Build A Puter

On 7/14/2011 8:24 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:08:18 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

What did I pay,,, $1325. PC

Not too awfully bad. His site didn't list any PCs in stock.

I ordered mine from him on a Friday afternoon, he delivered on Monday
afternoon. He builds to his customers needs so he really does not keep
an inventory of assembled machines IIRC. He does not just buy parts and
assemble, he apparently knows which parts work best together.

Excellent service! Having a local computer guru is the best insurance
you can buy.

That was a big point in my decision making process, him living 3 doors down.

I was sold on an i7 processor and he talked me out of it. Apparently
nothing that the average user would use would ever need an i7 processor
in the foreseeable future or as he put it, the life expectancy of the
machine.

It would have been significantly less expensive had I gone for a 1TB
primary hard drive instead of the 128GB Solid State drive.

Why did he talk you into the SSD?

He didn't, he mentioned that they were offering that as a primary drive.
I jumped at the opportunity. A little more expensive for the machine
as a whole but extremely fast, no moving parts. IIRC the 128Gb SSD was
about $125 more than the 1Tb HD. With the OS and all of my program
files loaded I have only used about 1/2 the capacity.

I have really enjoyed the simplicity of having the OS and program files
on the SSD and my data files on the HD. No convoluted tree/directory to
track down a data file.

Right, nice!

I use Quicken home and business and when I installed the program it
placed my data file on the SSD also. Launching the program was
instantaneous. As soon as I clocked or let go of the enter key the
program and file were on the screen. Now that I have moved the data
file to the HD it takes 2 seconds. Seems like an eternity. :~)

I'm well aware that Instant Gratification Takes Too Long.

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz 7.5 7.0
Determined by lowest subscore

Windows Experience Index on score 1.0 to 7.9

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.8
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5670 7.0
Gaming graphics 4852 MB Total available graphics memory 7.0
Primary hard disk 64GB Free (119GB Total) 7.9
Windows 7 Professional

I like (and use) Win7Pro. My graphics card drops my system down to
3.8. Wah! Mine is only a 32-bit and 2.5GHz with slower RAM.

You officially SUCK, Leon!

Why thank you Larry!