Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.railway
harry harry is offline

Default Welding cast iron

On Jul 15, 1:54*pm, Andy Breen wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 05:05:17 -0700, Matty F wrote:
shurely shome mistake

Boilers are not cast iron just for starters

Not (usually..[1]) in locomotive applications for many years, but
it was the standard material for many boilers - including locomotive
ones back in the earlies.

The first commercially successful locomotives - and the first
exported - had cast iron boilers, after all..

[1] Does the replica of the Gateshead machine that masquerades as the
Pen-y-Darren machine have a cast boiler? Trevithick certainly used
'em..

--
Andy Breen, not speaking on behalf of Aberystwyth University * *"The
internet, that wonderful tool for bringing us into contact with things

I think you will find they were wrought iron for many years. Merthry
Tydfil was renouned for it's wrought iron.