Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.railway
harry harry is offline

Default Welding cast iron

On Jul 15, 11:54*am, Andy Breen wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:20:48 +0000, Nick Leverton wrote:
In article , tony sayer
wrote: [harry opined:]

A steam explosion inside a locomtive fire box would be virtually
guaranteed to kill the fireman/driver as all the burning coal could
well be blown out of the firing hole into the locomotive cab.

So in recent years have you any examples of preserved steam operated
railway operations that have had *boiler explosions that have injured or
killed people in the railway world, perhaps excluding India which hasn't
got the good a track record ;!....

Don't know about rest of the world's record, but the last actual railway
boiler explosion in the UK seems to have been 1962 (Wonkypedia quoting
from a published source).

Boiler explosion or firebox collapse? Actual (external) explosion of the
boiler barrel seems to have been (commendanbly rare for over a century
- the benefits of elfandsafety gorn madde, of course..).

Firebox collapse is will be damned unpleasant for those on the engine,
but much less deletrious for the surrounding neighbourhood.

--
Andy Breen, not speaking on behalf of Aberystwyth University * *"The
internet, that wonderful tool for bringing us into contact with things

Unlikely. As someone else mentioned, the fusible plug should prevent
that.