Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob AZ Bob  AZ is offline

Default How much force in a vise?

Can anybody suggest how such force could be measured?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Michael

Although not sure of the span dimension I am almost sure I could
easily bend th 1/2" plate so any measurements would be questionable
unless the bend of the span were taken into account.

And from many years of using presses in connection with photography I
am not sure the heat requirements are at all dependent on the
pressure. The pressure is probably needed to assure enough contact so
the heat can do its thing for the mechanical connection of the media.
The heat is probably needed to fuse the media and not completely
dependent on pressure.

My two cents.
Bob AZ