Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default How much force in a vise?

wrote:
How much force does a common shop vise develop in its jaws? Google was
pretty unhelpful on this - the only reference I could find suggested
up to 7000 lb. Another paper suggested that a minimum required
clamping force for machining is much less - up to 1000 N.

I am interested because I am trying to guess how much force I can
develop in this press:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...57622484352534

Right now my answer would be "not enough" (see the following photos if
you are interested in the process).

Can anybody suggest how such force could be measured?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Looks a lot like a wine press. I know the small wine press I have will
develop about 1000 pounds at the plate with a 2' lever on the handle.

--
Steve W.