Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Working under a jacked vehicle

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:07:12 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

Note Winston's suggestion about ramps. They're good. I use ramps for
changing oil, etc. But they get in the way when you're working out on the
corners, and you can't use them for jobs that require the suspension to be
unloaded, like changing struts or replacing half-axles.

Be careful not to drive over the end of a ramp, or you're in deep doo-doo.
In about 48 years of using them, I have not yet driven over the end of one.
But I expect to every time I do it.

That's the beauty of the Race Ramps:
http://www.raceramps.com/images/prod...ramps-56-1.jpg

The top of the ramp levels out then ends in a substantial 'stop'
feature.

The traditional stamped steel ramps' 'wheel cradle' feature
has you driving 'downhill' towards the stop after the ramp,
giving you a queasy feeling that you *could* drive off the end.

http://www.stabilimenta.com/ebaypics/carramps.jpg

OH! And another thing.
The Race Ramps stay put on an inclined driveway!
Exciting times when one steel ramp would squirt
forward from under the car. I actually had to peg them
into the driveway to prevent that. Feh.

--Winston

unfortunately, I need a 12" length of 2x4 to get my Toy Car onto my
ramps, but I only do that about once every ten years. The ramps are
here for the use of "others".
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada