Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Millport rework, eBay, and expanded search scores!

On 7/14/2011 1:36 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I never search under any category, always "all eBay". There are too many
jerk-off sellers who list under inappropriate categories.

Well, often what I'm trying to search for, searching all of ebay returns
tons of unrelated crap in other categories. I've gotten pretty good at
finding what I want. I do sometimes search all, especially as some
things can legitimately wind up in widely different categories. But
generally, restricting categories is the easiest way to narrow things down.

Now, if sellers would just stop listing universal items as specific to
anything and everything it'll fit. Like 55mm polarizer filter for
Minolta, for Sony, for Nikon, for Canon, etc etc etc. The same seller
will have dozens of 55mm filters listing every damned camera and lens
they can think of with a 55mm thread.
Or worse, the twits that intentionally include misleading keywords. Like
searching for a Kurt vise. Often in the description/title, you'll see
'Not Kurt'. It's there so anyone searching for Kurt will still end up
seeing their listing.

When an item appears rare, I will expand to all just in case it's been
mis-categorized by someone that doesn't know better. Just that sometimes
I get stuck in a rut and forget that little trick...

Jon