Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default Need To Build A Puter

"Bill" wrote

Disabling the CPU Smart Fan Control solved the problem. It took me over a
week to isolate the problem/solution. It wasn't so hard to fix, but it
was frustrating. I don't think Lew wants to put himself in that
situation--obligated to learn computer repair. Maybe I'm wrong?

Reminds me of a story a friend told me of his navy days. He was an
electronics guy who maintained much of the ship board electronics, back in
the day when they had no replaceable boards. Everything had to be trouble
shot down to the bad component, which was then removed and replaced.

They were conducting some kind of fleet exercises. About twenty ships were
involved. The admiral was on board and this ship was the command ship.
Everything was going fine until some important piece of gear broke down.
The exercise had to stopped until it was repaired. He was called in to make
the necessary repairs. He quickly figured out which item broke down and got
out his manuals and started the laborious job of checking out the boards,
component by component, circuit by circuit. This was done in the presence
of the entire fleet command staff. And it was taking awhile. No quick
solution was happening.

His irritated commanding officer yelled at him, "How long is this going to
take?" He stood up, looked at him eye to eye, and yelled back at him,
"Fifteen minutes AFTER I FIND THE PROBLEM!" The red faced officer backed
off. Not a word or sound from the rest of the staff either.

I always remember that story. A lot of time a problem is easily solved. It
is just finding the damn thing to begin with! How many times have you
struggled to do something and it took and inordinate amount of time? And
the second time it was a breeze and happened easily and efficiently. the
first time was learnin' time. The second time was doin' time.