Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Working under a jacked vehicle

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message

(...)

The top of the ramp levels out then ends in a substantial 'stop'
feature.

http://www.raceramps.com/images/prod...etail/RR56.png

Yeah, they look nice. A little pricey, though.

I built my first set out of wood. Strong, with a big stop at the end, but
they weighed maybe 50 pounds each. d8-)

That highly resembles the set I borrowed from dear old Dad
Every !@#$%^ weekend.

They were made from solid, diagonally-cut 12 x 12 lumber.
We didn't have any wussy "travel stops" on the ends.
I came close to driving off the end, a couple times.

Now I use a substantial pair made out of steel. They're not as nice as
yours.

I gulped when I saw the price but I was *so* tired of nailing the
'low' edge of the ramps into the driveway so they wouldn't squirt
out from under the car. (When that happened once, a neighbor across
the street yelled out "Hey! Are YOU OK?") Heh.

I'm philosophical about the cost of safety-related gear.
The cost of one ER visit can buy *lots* of high tech ramps and
jack stands.

--Winston