Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default What 36" Ridgid pipe wrench to keep, AL vs. Iron

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
HeyBub wrote:
...snipped...
Hmm.

If subject to too much torque, the aluminum wrench will bend, the
iron wrench will break. "Too much" is probably greater for the cast
iron wrench. How much greater, I know not, nor whether it matters in
the real world.

Your conjecture seems logical but real-world experience is the
opposite. The aluminum wrenches will break, the "iron" ones will
bend. We commonly call them "iron" but I believe they are actually
forged steel. Possibly malleable or ductile cast iron would make a
passable wrench, but not
common cast iron. Especially for a pipe wrench, one of the
most-abused tools there is. Cheater bars, slugging the handle with a
hammer,(or another
pipe wrench!) pulling handle with a come-a-long, etc. I've seen plenty
of them bend, but few break. The aluminum wrenches will break far
more readily.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the correction.