Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
John Gilmer[_3_] John Gilmer[_3_] is offline

Default What 36" Ridgid pipe wrench to keep, AL vs. Iron

I am just an amateur home plumber too, but I do see that the aluminum
wrenches command higher prices. They are a lot easier to lug around. I
doubt you would ever be able to break or bend either.

Maybe so; maybe no.

If a pipe wrench isn't quite long enough, folks find a section of
galvanized pipe to increase the leverage.

Reasonable qualify steel is stronger that most aluminum.

If you don't use either tool routinely the weight doesn't make much
difference. Were I the OP, I would "sell" the aluminum wrench; it
would likely fetch more money and the steel wrench would likely tolerate
abuse like using a galvanized pipe to increase the leverage.