Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Working under a jacked vehicle

On Jul 13, 6:15*pm, BQ340 wrote:
On 7/13/2011 6:11 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

id *wrote in message
m...
Would it be safe to work under a jacked vehicle, if I use a mechanical
jack like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...UboR9xO3bjAhN7....

I wouldn't. The base is too narrow and even bolting it down to a piece of
steel still leaves one side in tension, if you bump the vehicle at all.
That's not for me.

If it has a rack and a positive lock for the rack, and I mean POSITIVE, I
would accept that, but not the narrow base.

If you're going to work under cars and trucks, you really want some
broad-base, really solid standing jacks. They're a lifetime investment. Mine
are 45 years old.

I second that, as you only get one chance. I use a hydraulic jack backed
up by 2 jackstands & wheel chock plus if I have to take a tire off, that
goes under the frame as well. I had a friend mangle his hand due to a
jack slipping, so I am very paranoid. Torquing on bolts rock a car around....

MikeB

--
Email is valid but not checked often- Hide quoted text -

I have seen so many hydraulic jacks blow their seals I have lost
count.

I remember one which had a car up on it...I was walking past it when
*BANG* the car hit the ground.

The seal on the jack had just blown.

If someone had been under it..they would have been DEAD.

It happened in less than a second..no time to react.

Except for me to jump when the car hit the ground.

TMT