Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default What 36" Ridgid pipe wrench to keep, AL vs. Iron

On Jul 13, 1:47*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:05:55 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

wrote:
On Jul 13, 2:02*pm, "anorton"
wrote:
"Ignoramus23641" wrote in message

om...

I have two of these 36" Ridgid pipe wrenches:

*http://goo.gl/ZOm4N

One is steel and another is aluminum.

I want to keep one and sell another. My question is which one is
better. Aluminum one is a lot lighter, but is it as strong? Or does it
matter?

I am not a plumber, but once in a while I need to turn something that
does not want to turn, like a stuck engine etc. This is my use.

I am just an amateur home plumber too, but I do see that the aluminum
wrenches command higher prices. *They are a lot easier to lug around.. *I
doubt you would ever be able to break or bend either.

I would mention that if you are actually working on pipes, you often want
two similar wrenches to apply opposite torques on either side of the joint.
Otherwise something might come undone that was not supposed to. *That said,
you would have to have some pretty big iron pipes to really take advantage
of these.

I agree with everything you said except the last item. Getting 1 1/2"
iron steam pipe unstuck would simply not have happened if I had a
wrench shhorter than 36". If I ever have to do this again, I would
consider renting a pair of 48" wrenches.

I have a pair of 36" wrenches. One is bent like a banana. Had
something to do with the eight foot pipe I used for a cheater bar.

Karl- Hide quoted text -

REAL MEN use a tractor as the cheater bar. ;)

TMT