Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default What 36" Ridgid pipe wrench to keep, AL vs. Iron

On Jul 13, 1:37*pm, Ignoramus23641 ignoramus23...@NOSPAM.
23641.invalid wrote:
I have two of these 36" Ridgid pipe wrenches:

*http://goo.gl/ZOm4N

One is steel and another is aluminum.

I want to keep one and sell another. My question is which one is
better. Aluminum one is a lot lighter, but is it as strong? Or does it
matter?

I am not a plumber, but once in a while I need to turn something that
does not want to turn, like a stuck engine etc. This is my use.

a) you'll get more money for the Al wrench, and seeing as how you're
not lugging it all over the place every day, the extra weight of the
iron wrench shouldn't be a problem. The Al wrench is plenty strong.

b) If it was me, I'd keep both. I did a minor change to the steam
heating pipes in my house and thought I'd be OK with one 24" and one
36" wrench. I would have been way better off with a pair of 36"
wrenches.