Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default No comments from the GUN_Lovers

On Jul 13, 2:05*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Harry, did you know that her in The US it's perfectly legal for our
lawmakers and law enforcement agents to lie to Joe Citizen but it's
a crime for Joe Citizen to lie to them. If Joe Citizen is called
before a Congressional hearing and swears to tell the truth and
doesn't, he is charged with the crime of perjury. If police are
interrogating Joe Citizen, the police can lie to him but if Joe
Citizen lies in return, he is charged with a crime. Poor Joe Citizen,
he has it rough at times

Which underscores the notion that you should say NOTHING to the cops, even
if you believe it to be the truth.

"What do you know about the bank robbery on 1st Street?"
"Nothing. I've never even BEEN on 1st Street!"
(later)
"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the defendant claimed in a police
interview that he'd never been on 1st Street near the location of the
robbery. You've just seen footage from a security camera clearly showing the
defendant driving down 1st Street in 1982! He was clearly lying during the
police interview and you can legitimately infer he was lying when he claimed
he was not involved in the robbery..."

but Joe Citizen does have a right to remain silent guaranteed by our
Constitution. I wonder, does Harry Citizen have the same sort of right
in The UK?

No. If a suspect clams up, that silence may be offered in evidence against
him at trial.

That is true. This is a recent change. The idea is that a suspect
can immediately clear himself.