Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is NASA dead

On Jul 12, 9:56*pm, Benny Fishhole wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 19:33:38 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools

wrote:
On Jul 12, 6:58*pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:
CaveLamb on Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:35:13 -0500
typed in rec.crafts.metalworking *the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:
"No, it is just taking a nap."

NASA, as a political organization, doing things at the behest of
Congress, is dead. *It might be renewed as an "R&D" operation, leaving
the exploitation of "new" technologies to the private sector. *And
that includes the building of heavy lifters, space stations,
extra-planetary habitats - all the big ticket Projects - that turned
NASA into a burocratic quagmire.
That's backwards from how things usually work.
Usually it's the private sector that does the inventing and developing
before offering something to the government sector...

* * * * In something like the space program, the timeline for a return is
"too long" for a company which has to show improvements every ninety
days to keep the stockholders happy. *NASA was originally the app;lied
idea guys, who would shoot satellites "for research" into the sky, and
test out all sorts of thing. *And being part of the Government, they
would occasionally have military assets involved. *Whcih also served
as a cover for what the military was doing in space - spy sats, and
the like.
* * * * I'm sure that a lot of tech development occurred at private corps,
which then sold it to NASA. *X planes, Dyna-soar, etc, were private
built but government funded. *Much as the Space-X Dragon is. *But the
model now is (and may have been before the moon race), fixed cost. "We
want one of these, for this much money."
* * * * It doesn't always work out. The R101 Dirigible was built to
Government specs, and crashed on it's maiden flight.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

The military will miss their NASA connection...a lot.

Then again...their own budgets are in for a hell of a cut.

TMT

Every thing Obama touches tends to break. The good thing is that
without those pesky trips to the moon, there can be a whole lot more
reaching out to the Muslims in the interim.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...ma-Nasa-mu...- Hide quoted text -

LOL...better to break and fix.

Everything Bush touched turned to sh*t and we and our grandchildren
are still paying for it.

Strange how conservatives forget that...is it because of Alzheimers,
alcoholism or drug use...or all three?

Go look and you will find that Bush and the REPUBLICAN Congress never
fully funded the Orion program.

TMT