Bay Area Dave

Default Idiots!!!

I'll respond inline for a change...

Doug Miller wrote:

snip

I've got an
adult son who is smarter than me; guess what field he gravitated to, by
age 8?

The same, I suppose? What exactly is he doing?

He got interested in pc's when I began dabbling in them in 85. I used
my pc in my business from 85 to 88 and then brought it home when I sold
my business. My kid started tinkering on our AT&T 6300; no mouse; no
color; no Windoze...I could tell right away that he'd found his niche.
He's trying to get a consulting business off the ground, but I'd prefer
to see him go to work at a large or medium company first. He was
getting set to graduate with good grades when an illness set him back,
so he is in the process of thinking of rescheduling the last couple of
senior classes that he muffed so he can get his sheepskin. Whenever we
get together he talks WAY over my wife's and my head, but we nod
knowingly like we understand every word. g Wish he were more rounded;
ALL he talks about is technology. But he's my kid, so I love him!

I'm impressed by anyone who has their act together and treats everyone
well, even when things aren't going their way.

I try. Don't always succeed.

Me either g

table tennis, which I always called Ping Pong.

The difference is about 50 mph. :-)

Like in Forrest Gump?

I remember playing
on a regular dining table, which was way under regulation size. Trying
to keep the ball from sailing over the far edge was tough for an
uncoordinated kid of 11. I did better with bowling, although I whacked
my left shin at the foul line more than a couple of times with the ball.

Been there, done that. I bowl poorly (average around 100). Best game ever was
142.

My bowling days are over due to the same thing that forced me to sell my
business; a ruptured disk. Followed by another one 7 years later.
The worst position I can get into is putting my arms straight over my
head. Extending my arms straight out or up, with weight on them puts on
heck of a strain on my neck. Boy is 3/4" MDF a bear to work with!

Cool. I've always enjoyed baseball, both as a participant and a spectator.
Don't play it real well, though, and never did. I used to be able to throw
hard, and I can still throw a curve, for whatever little that might be worth.
My older son shows some promise, though. Not yet sixteen, and he throws just a
squeak under 70mph, and pretty accurately, too. And two years ago in a Little
League game, he hit a home run to straightaway center field (320 ft) that
cleared the fence by a good 35 or 40 feet.

There isn't much in sports I've played that is more satisfying than
connecting with a fast ball and watching it fly over the outfielders
heads! Bowling a bunch of strikes in a row is cool, but taking a good
cut with a WOODEN bat is something no kid forgets. Now they use those
silly sounding metal bats. Yecch!

Sheesh, this is starting to smack of "diary" material! Forgive my
rambling...

No prob.

Thanks for indulging me!

dave